What is an umbilical hernia?
A hernia is a protrusion of tissues from their correct place. In case of an umbilical hernia the protrusion is felt or visible in the navel area. It account for about 10% of all adult hernia.
It sould be operated on as soon as possible to avoid complications. The surgery involves correcting the tissue defect.
– serious ilnesses such as cardiac insufficiency
– local skin infections in the inguinal area
– general infections: viral/bacterial
– blood thinning medication
Inform the surgeon of all your illnesses and current medicacion.
The surgery is usually carried out in spinal anaesthesia. An incision is made in the navel area. The tissue defect is corrected. The surgery takes about 60 min.
The patient may go bact to normal everyday activities straight away but must not lift heavy objects or perform vigorous activity untill fully healed.
Post operative recommendations
– desinfecting the wound and changing the dressing every day
– OTC painkillers if needed
– avoiding lifting heavy objects over 5kg and vigorous phisical activity for a period indicated after the surgery.